Yelp

Saturday, December 5, 2015

Office furniture created from reclaimed material


This is the first section of our work surface. It is made entirely of
reclaimed deck material.

A relative of the Lovely Shane and I recently had a deck rebuilt. Some of the old lumber was rotted,but much of it was in pretty good shape. We obtained this material at no cost, In fact the home owners were happy to have it hauled away,

We have been planning to add some shelving and built-in work surfaces to our home office for some time now. I saw the material we obtained from the old deck as perfect for the job.

We had to first remove a lot of old nails. I think I got at least five pounds of nails out of that material.

After removing the nails, I decided to try to build the first work surface.

I then ran the material through a planer to get it smoother. After running it through the planer. I ripped and cut the material to size. I planned the job in a fashion to avoid too many rips or cuts. I did have to rip some pieces on the table saw to make the trim that runs around the outer edge of the work surface.

This is the work surface during the application of the finish. Notice
the brackets behind it
I then built the first work surface and the brackets that I would utilize to attach the work surface to the wall in our office.

After the work surface and the supporting brackets were assembled, I sanded everything to prepare for the finish.

For a finish I used several coats of minwax stain followed by three coats of glossy polyurethane. After all this dried out, we installed the finished unit in the office.

The entire job took about a week (working about an hour each day). The most time consuming part was running the material through the planer.

Aside from the material that we obtained from the old deck, I used deck screws (as fasteners), about a pint of stain and less than a pint of polyurethane. The cost of the material was very little (less than $40.00).

These are the support brackets that hold the work surface
to the wall.
I am looking forward to finishing the office project with this reclaimed deck wood. We plan to build two more work surfaces and a few shelves. It looks like we will have plenty of the reclaimed material to do the job.

We will keep you updated on the progress.

We are building unique pieces that fit the decor of our house (a small house that is over 100 years old). It is unique and is customized to our needs.

We can do this for you as well. If you are interested in getting our help on your project, please contact us! Use this link to our website and complete this form. If you prefer you may contact me directly by phone at 678-702-4791.
Please do not call after 9:00 pm (EST)

Till Next Time

-William

2 comments: